Skip to Main Content

UC Berkeley School of Law Library UC Berkeley School of Law Library BerkeleyLaw Library

Student Journals: Symposium | Special Events

Considering hosting a Symposium?

Considering hosting a Symposium or special event?    It is imperative that you start planning and meet with the Journal Administrator months in advance! 

With some careful advance planning, the Law School's Journal Administrator, Event Services, and Business Services can assist you in planning and executing a successful, efficient event!

There is an enormous amount of details to consider including:

  • Logistics:  When, where, how
  • Financial:  Budget, funding
  • Planning:  Catering, room reservations, travel, promoting

At a minimum three months in advance complete and submit the form listed below to the Journal Administrator to arrange for a meeting to start the planning process.

Event Services- at Berkeley Law

If you've not done so already, go to the Law School's Event Services page for a wealth of information and resources to help you get started!

The Special Projects & Event Services group provides consultation and assistance for events at Berkeley Law. While we don't plan events for the entire law school, we are available to offer suggestions to make your event a success. Please email Special Projects & Event Services to schedule a time to discuss your event.

The extensive information on this page will help you get started with planning your event from the get-go.

'How to' links for Symposium Planning

Please see the links below for information on how to plan various parts of your Symopsium.

Please ALSO see the Purchasing, Food for Meetings, Travel Information, and Forms Library pages for additional information.

ATTENTION:  Beginning in August 2017, a new UCPD policy requires a licensed bartender for any event in excess of 100 people!

Funding your Event- donations and grants

In addition to using your Journal funds (revenue the journal has brought in from subscriptions, royalties, fundraising, etc.) it is highly recommended that you solicit donations to help assist with the funding of your Journal events.  This may be done through soliciting outside law firms, alumni, etc. with the assistance of the Law School’s Alumni Center, or by requesting donations from various centers within the Law School or departments on campus.

In order to make sure that the funds you’ve arranged for are available, you need to follow the following instructions:

All donations received from outside the University MUST be deposited through the Law School’s Development & Alumni Resources in order  to be tax deductible.  If you receive any donations directly to your journal office, you must forward them, along with any correspondence, to the Alumni Center, which will deposit the funds, as well as send an official thank you and tax deduction information.    Any questions about this process may be addressed to Holly Johnson (

Sponsorships to your journal can be donated in one of two ways:

  1.  Credit card:   Law firm employees/contacts can make a donation by calling in to the Gift Processing folks at 510-642-9045  or sending the payment information to the address below..
  2. By check payable  to "UC Regents" and should include the Journal name in the memo field of the check. The checks should be sent to:
Berkeley Law  c/o UC Berkeley
Donor Gift Services, Ste. 400
1995 University Ave.
Berkeley, CA  94704-1070

Often, the law firms ask for a W-9 Form, proof of 501(c)(3), IRS tax ID, or letter of confirmation.  All requests should be e-mailed to Holly ( -- and she will send a PDF of the forms the law firms need directly.   The law firms will receive and acknowledgment from the Alumni Center and a tax receipt from University Relations.

For donations received from within the University, you will need to forward the following information via email to the Journal Administrator ( in order for the funds to be transferred and made available for your use.    This is best done by forwarding the email correspondence you’ve had with the donor, making sure it includes:

  1. Name of center/group/ journal making the donation
  2. Contact person:  name, email
  3. How much they're donating
  4. What this covers (or any restrictions)
  5. Their CHARTSTRING    (NOTE:  the law school finance folks will take care of initiating all transfers)

Graduate Assembly,  ASUC, etc.
If you apply for grants from the Graduate Assembly, or ASUC for your event, this is done entirely separate from the Law School, and you will need to make certain that you meet all deadlines and provide proper documentation in order to receive these grants.

These are typically provided as reimbursements after the fact.  IF you need to pay for a large expenditure (such as catering), and then get reimbursed, you may request that this payment be made from your Journal funds up front, and then have the GA or ASUC make their reimbursement payment directly to the  Journal to reimburse your expenditure.

In order to do this, submit your request for payment for the expense as usual.  The GA or ASUC will request proof of payment, which the Journal Administrator will be able to provide.  You will then need to forward this information to the GA/ASUC.  They will need to make any checks payable to UC Regents.    To ensure that the check is applied correctly to reimburse your journal, please have the check sent directly to the Journal Administrator at the address below.   Make sure to copy the Administrator on any correspondence to the GA/ASUC so that she knows that the payment is forthcoming.